5 top places to visit, Cairngorms National Park
Located in the Cairngorms National Park, Aviemore is one of the most popular destinations for visitors looking for incredible outdoor experiences amongst the most stunning landscapes.
With a range of activities for visitors to enjoy up on the hills or down by the lochs, there are plenty of places to explore and adventures to enjoy while you are here!
Here’s our top 5 places to visit in and around Aviemore!
- Cairngorm Mountain – if you are going to come to the Cairngorms National Park then you can’t miss out on one of the most impressive mountains in the Highlands – the Cairngorms! It’s a fantastic destination for hill-walkers, snow sports enthusiasts and wildlife spotters. Take the funicular to the top of the mountain for the most impressive views and a warm brew. Or at the base of the station enjoy tubing slides and the adventure playground with the kids in the summer.
- Rothiemurchus – Right on our doorstep in Aviemore is the incredible Rothiemurchus, you can spend hours here amongst the trees, exploring trials and discovering something different with every visit. It’s a relaxing spot with stunning scenery and wildlife such a red squirrels and roe deer. It is also filled with activities for you and your friends and family, feed the deer, take a Hairy Coo Safari, go wild at Treezone Aerial Adventure Park, enjoy a spot of fishing, or the adrenaline of a quad bike excursion! And these are just a few of the things to do in Rothiemurchus!
- Highland Wildlife Park – along the road from Aviemore is the only place you can see polar bears! The Highland Wildlife Park is filled with Scottish wildlife and endangered animals from around the world. Come and see Brodie the second polar bear cub to be born to Victoria and Arktos. Also you can see Scottish Wildcats, Capercaillie, Amur Tigers, Snow Leopards, Northern Lynx, European Grey Wolf, and Japanese Macaque! Spend the day here on foot then take up a guided land rover trip around the main reserve.
- Loch Garten – 20 minutes away from Aviemore is the beautifully wild Loch Garten Nature Reserve. It contains remnants of ancient Caledonian pine forests, amongst classic Scottish moorland, wetland and lochs. Head along to the Loch Garten Osprey Centre to get up close and personal with some of the Parks most amazing wildlife, including our world-famous ospreys!
- Loch Morlich – how about heading down to the beach? That’s right Loch Morlich is Scotland’s only landlocked beach, and it is a perfect spot for chilling out, enjoying a picnic or taking up some of our favourite water sports – how about trying a spot of wild swimming, paddle boarding or kayaking? All this and you’ll enjoy some of the most incredible views of the Cairngorms Mountain range!
Whichever of these 5 places you choose to visit, or maybe you plan to visit them all, we can guarantee you’ll have an incredible time, no matter the time of the year!
Loch Morlich Photo ©: Wee Epics